Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What a day!!!!

Well, I'm pleased to report that I didn't yak or cry at all like I thought I would!

I GOT TATTOOED!

(now I just need to get screwed and glued, and I'll be complete...!) lol



Here's me, just after lunch and just before my appointment, keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that I survive my adventures at Soul Survivors!


And here's Dono, showing some love to the polar bear....(just had to throw that in cuz he was doing everything he could to crack me up and keep me calm!)


Here's the amazing Carly at Soul Survivors, working her tattooing magic!

And here's the finished product! (It's still pretty red, but I'm thinkin' that'll go away eventually!)

The reason I've been so excited to get this done is, well, for one, I've wanted a tattoo for YEARS, but never really knew what I wanted, what to get. And I didn't want to get one just for the sake of getting one. I wanted it to be special.

And this one, my first tattoo, has special meaning.

You see, for years, I had to put up with comments from strangers - comments like, "When are you due?" And when I told them I wasn't pregnant, just "fat", they wouldn't believe me. I always had a big belly, and just assumed I was predisposed to carrying all my weight in my stomach. I did everything I could - became an ephedrine addict, even. For years, I was addicted to the stuff, and I threw out a LOT of money on those tiny little damaging pills. I did crash diets. I starved myself. I put my body through a lot of crap, and inside, I was suffering.

Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally. Nothing I did would make my stomach go away, my efforts were relentless, and I was failing myself. I hated myself for it.

Along came Donovan, the greatest man of all, and he saw past my insecurities, fell in love with me for me - got me off my "drug addiction", and told me every day how beautiful I was and how much he loved me. (Note: that shouldn't be past tense, he still does this every day! Ahhhh!)

He never thought my belly was something to be concerned about - we all just assumed that it was fat (and after a lot of research on the net, my self-diagnosis told me I had copious amounts of visceral fat, and I needed to drastically change my lifestyle). I never went to a dr about this - I didn't need to hear a dr tell me I had to do more sit-ups.

As much as I was in denial, I was fighting depression.

After Dono and I got married, we tried to get pregnant right away, and after 2 yrs of trying, no luck. I figured it was because I was overweight - so I joined Weight Watchers! Why not try to lose a few pounds the HEALTHY way? Well, I did - lost 20lbs right out of the gate, but still, no baby.

After 2 yrs of trying, we went to a fertility dr, who discovered I had a massive cyst growing in my belly.

(My first reaction, instead of OH MY GOD, AM I GOING TO DIE? was, DID YOU HEAR THAT, DONOVAN? I'M NOT FAT!)

I can't tell you how many nights I would lay awake in bed, poking at my rock hard stomach (which was the size of a beach ball, no lie), and just wish someone would stick a needle in it and pop it.

Well, on September 26, 2006, that's exactly what they did.

I lost nearly 35lbs that day, in a matter of an hour and a half.

They drained 16L of fluid from my belly.

That day changed my life.

This tattoo is representative of that amazing time in my life - a time when all my years of depression, of mental anguish and self-hate, came to an end, and a new Cat was on the horizon.

The tattoo consists of 16 flowers and buds of freesia, located on the left side of my torso (b/c this is where the cyst started, and where I have permanent internal damage - a left fallopian tube and ureter that are essentially cranked) - 16 to represent the number of litres drained from my belly, freesia to represent my love for my husband - those were flowers in my wedding bouquet, and Donovan was there with me, every step of the way, from wreckless nurses jabbing needles in my arms for bloodwork, to my cancer scare, to having him spend every day and every night with me in the hospital, crunched into an uncomfortable chair, never leaving my side.

The butterfly represents the incredible change, and the way I feel - I was always hiding behind big baggy clothes, and now, I've emerged from my "cocoon", a more confident and self-assured woman, filled with joy and a zest for life that I never knew I could have. (I mean, marrying Donovan gave me that, of course - but this was a whole new level of it that I never realized I could have.)

And there you have it! My life in a nutshell, pretty much.

This is why I've been so excited to get my "ink" done. Now if only I can find the confidence to wear a 2-pc bathing suit come summertime so I can show it off at the beach! Oh wait - sun fades the colours.....better stick with the one-pc, but at least now, I can throw away my swimming moomoo!

I love Weight Watchers for what it has taught me, what I'm continuing to learn from it. Although the loss of the massive cyst resulted in me looking rather malnourished, I've managed to finally fill out a bit, and look like a normal person. For the first time in my life, I feel normal! Now I don't have to worry about people staring at my stomach and wondering if I'm pregnant! What a liberating feeling it is!

I'm going to stick with WW because I still have some work to do. I want to tone up all that loose skin that still remains around my belly and strengthen the muscles beneath it. I want to slim down my hips and thighs. And I want to lose an ass or two (I asked the surgeon to check my arse for cysts, b/c due to the size of it, I was pretty sure I had some in there!.....he said no!....)

So here I am today - a new woman on a new mission .... not just a weight loss journey, but one of a healthier lifestyle - for me, for my husband, and for the baby that Dono and I hope to one day conceive. I want to be at my healthiest when I'm pregnant, and this WW journey will get me there.

13 comments:

John Rambo's Wife said...

What a story! That is SO amazing!! I hope that baby comes along very soon. I will be rooting for you. :) You are so beautiful too!!

I'll add you to my blog list if that is okay.

Kathryn
Chickideefarmgirl.blogspot.com

Shrunk said...

I think you look perfect just the way you are. You are so beautiful in that picture. Seriously. I love the meaning behind your tattoo, almost as much as I LOVE THAT FRICKEN TATTOO! OMG! What beautiful work! You must be PUMPED! I'm so excited for you :O)

redhaiku said...

Wow, that's amazing!

I feel like after going through something like that, you deserve all the happiness you can get.

redhaiku from WW

Carpentergirl said...

Thanks for writing your story of transformation! I'm happy you've finally found contentment and happiness in your life after such turmoil! Way to go and beautiful tattoo.

Jaime said...

What an amazing ordeal! and what an amazing way to bookmark it for life! I hope that you and your wonderful hubby get everything you hope for and dream of. I'll be moving to Winnipeg one day in the not so distant future and I'll be looking you up for sure!!

DragonWoman said...

Beautiful story from a beautiful woman. And one helluva fantastic tattoo! :)

Anonymous said...

That is a fabulous tattoo! And yes you definately had a great artist! Tattoos are sooooo addicting.....enjoy!

wannago said...

Wow, what can I say, your story is truly amazing. I have always toyed with the idea of getting a tatoo, yours is beautiful. Unfortunately I have no idea what to get and no imagination!

If you don't mind I am going to add you to my blog and will be reading and rooting for you.
Shari
wannagetthereblogspot.com

Anne said...

What a great story!
I am also trying to get to a healthy weight before I get pregnant :) Love your tattoo!

Mandy said...

Wow Cat! You have brought tears to my eyes with your amazing story!!! Congrats on getting the tattoo and congrats on it being such an amazing symbol of soemthing so major that you have come through triumphantly!!! Since a tattoo is something you will have for forever, how perfect that it be a reminder of something that you want to remember forever! That's wonderful!!!!

Shirls said...

what a great tattoo, I love this form of art and I especially enjoy the meaning behind them. I've been following your story for some time and I'm thrilled to know your doing so well after the cyst removal. Keeping my fingers crossed for a baby for you both and soon :)

Dee said...

Amazing story and a great reason to get a tattoo! It's really beautiful. I just had to add that I got tattooed at Soul Survivors in May/07! They're fantastic there.

cat's dish said...

Wow! Thank you all for your kind words of support and encouragement!

Kathryn, add away! I'll do the same! And pls do keep rooting for me, I need all the good luck and rootin' vibes I can get!

Shaunna, it's day 2 and I'm still on cloud 9! More colours are popping out today - tattoos are amazing!!! Next time I get tatttooed (and there WILL be a next time, for sure!), I'll pass along your comments to her - she was the newest one at the shop, and didn't have as much experience as the others - she did do a great job, and she'd appreciate the positive feedback (from someone other than me, that is!).

Redhaiku - thank you so much! Now what would REALLY make me happy is to win the lottery....! lol

Carpentergirl, thanks for posting! It was a tad difficult to actually write out my story, in a Coles-notes kinda way, but I feel better knowing I was able to get it out, with all its raw truth. Crazy stuff, eh? Just goes to show you, good things come to those who wait!

Bionic - I thought "getting inked" would be a great way to memorialize my ordeal too, but my mother has a very different opinion...perhaps you could talk to her when you get here! lol When you moving to Peg City? Definitely look me up!

Dragonwoman - you're too sweet! Thank you!

Kgirl - I'm guessing you have at least one tattoo - I can totally see myself getting more!

Shari, definitely add me, and I'll do the same! If getting a tattoo is something you want, you're just not sure, then I'd say definitely wait until you figure out what you want. It'll come to you eventually! One of my girlfriends (here's an idea) had a stylized cartoon lion tattooed on the small of her back, b/c she's a Leo - I always thought I'd get a cutesy cartoon scorpion myself, but I think the route I went has a tad more meaning! Thanks for the rootin's!

Anne - way to go on your decision to get healthy before carrying a child! It really gives you something to strive for, that little extra bit of motivation, eh? Good luck to you, my fingers are crossed!

Mandy, I didn't mean to make anyone teary-eyed! :) Thanks for your support, I definitely don't have any regrets about my new addition (well, maybe one - that was telling my mother! HAHA!)

Thanks Shirls! I've always been an admirer of the tattoos as well, and hearing the stories behind them really do make them even more special. Do you have any yourself?

Dee - who'd you see at Soul Survivors? Was it your first time? Did you just love it or what?!!

You guys are all fantastic, and I'm adding each and every one of you to my blog list! Thanks for popping by and for all your support!

I hope to report news of a baby soon (I'll post it here before I even tell my hubby!!!) lol